Just how well does fetch as googlebot work? I wanted to know if it was worth the time and effort to submit my pages to Google via webmaster tool’s feature Fetch as Googlebot every time I updated my site. Here’s how I tested it:
1) Minor update to footer
My footer still said 2011 (yes, I know, this is one of the factors of SEO and I left it for dead for 2 whole years. I don’t need the lecture). Then I submitted my entire site to fetch as Googlebot.
2) New page
I added this new page to my blog and submitted it.
Here’s the outcome.
1) After an hour, the changes reflected in cache. I went ahead and modified the title of the index page to see how long it would take for Google to pick up the title. Still waiting, so I went ahead and changed some of the content of that page as well. Still waiting.
I finally saw the revised title in results after 2 days. Cache still shows Jan 12.
2) Google picked it up in 2 seconds. A search for the exact title rendered first page results not only for the blog entry submitted but the category of the blog entry as well. Google crawled the pages even though I told them only the one page had changed.
I went ahead and changed a title on the blog and submitted it again. Nada. Still waiting after an hour.
After 3 days, the time stamp and title still is not reflected in search results, so I did another fetch as googlebot submission. No change. This time, I’ll change the footer date across all blog entries from 2008 to 2013 and add GA and change the time stamp on the blog to today’s date and fetch again. Nothing happened immediately.
Yes, I know, I have to learn to be patient and realize many people are submitting lots of stuff to Google. And yes, I realize I’m in the wrong field if I’m looking for instant results in SEO and no, I’m not trying to SEMify SEO. I’m just getting old and if I don’t remember to look at the results immediately, I may forget to follow up. I apologize in advance if I do not follow up with this entry.
Possible causes of faulty outcomes:
- Maybe Google doesn’t like me submitting the same page over and over and over again in a 10 minute window. What, can’t keep up with my indecisions in writing blogs?
- Maybe I didn’t make a significant enough change in content for Google to Fetch. I can rant on and on if that’s what it takes.
- Maybe. Just maybe. this is a really nothing topic that I’m trying to make something out of. As always, I judge the reader, not the writer.